Monday 3 August 2015

How To Save Your Suede Shoes With One Little Tool

So I was having a bit of a clear out and I found out a pair of suede heels that I don't wear anymore so decided I was going to try and sell them on Depop. They were a bit worn and scuffed and needed sprucing up a bit. I asked my Mum if she had any ideas and she told me to try a suede brush. To cut a long story short, it worked amazingly, so much so that I went and used it on all of my other suede shoes. 

Today I pulled out this pair of heels and thought they were beyond hope, but as you'll soon see, they now look as good as new! So here's how to get your old looking heels and shoes back to their former glory.

What you'll need:
  • Worn/Scuffed Suede Shoes
  • Suede Brush 



This is the suede brush I used on my heels. It's nothing fancy, just some brass wire bristles on a wooden handle. You can get one similar here and they aren't expensive at all.



Once you've got your brush, you want to grab your shoe and hold it firmly so it won't slip out of your hand. I opted to put my hand inside mine as this allowed me to hold the shoe steady. When you have hold of your shoe, get brushing.

Tips:
  • I find that swirling the brush in small circular motions works well.
  • Brush 'against the grain', if your scuff is horizontal, brush vertical.
  • Don't be afraid to be quite rough.
  • Don't give up, it may take a good few minutes to get the desired result.

A scuff occurs when something has scrapped down the side of your shoe and, effectively, flattens the suede down. What using a brush does is fluff the suede back up. 

Before:


This is what my shoe looked like before using the suede brush. These scuffs were quite deep and at one point I didn't actually think they were going to come out.

After: 


This is the end result! As you can see the scuffs are invisible. The area where I've used the brush looks slightly difference to other areas of the shoe, but once you brush round the edges and flatten it out, it looks as good as new.

I hope this helps some of you, if you have any questions, please feel free to comment below!

To be updated on my new blog posts, follow me on Bloglovin' :)

Becky
XO

No comments:

Post a Comment